Monday, January 30, 2012

Joyful Noise: Leah Turns 24!

Leah turned 24 on Saturday -- and she invited me to her first dress rehearsal. A rehearsal for a wedding dress, that is.
I was thankful for the invitation. At times, it feels like the milestones are going by sooo fast. Her first day of school. Her high school graduation. Her college graduation. Her engagement last fall. And while I am excited for her, it all makes me feel a touch older. OK, OLD. However, that was all forgotten on Saturday.

As always, Leah makes me smile. It's hard not to when you're in a room with her. Because God blessed me with a happy child. And now she is a happy, radiant adult. (Pause here for a moment of sappiness: I don't always smile or laugh easily. I tend to seriousness and thinking A LOT, which can take the fun out of some stuff. So when Leah was in the womb, I'd pray to God that she be healthy and happy. He delivered.)

David's Bridal on a Saturday was a beehive of bridal hubbub. Brides-to-be with parents, friends and other relatives in tow or gathered in clusters as the young women emerged from dressing rooms feeling like princesses. That it's prom season, too, added to action.

With each dress tried on, Leah smiled so broadly it seemed as if her face might crack. But it didn't. She had arrived with bridal catalogues under her arm and knew what she wanted. Sweetheart neckline. Drop waist. Off-white fabric. She and her friends -- Katie (one of five bridesmaids and Rosie, Nick's sister) -- and I couldn't help but smile back. View Leah in other gowns!

OK, the wedding's still more than a year off and we've got plenty of time before the Big Day. Lots of planning to do and money to save. And maybe it is against some wedding tradition to show friends the photos from Saturday. (As I did with my church friends on Sunday.) But the JOY on Leah's face was so precious and infectious. And sharing that just couldn't be wrong.

My little girl looked all grown  up. Happy birthday to Leah -- and me!



1 comment:

  1. Look at that lovely, happy girl. I know you are so proud. She's going to be such a beautiful bride -- with a beautiful Mother of the Blog.

    ReplyDelete