Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Transition: From Team Kee to Team Kovac

A few weeks back, Leah had her car broken into and the dashboard  in her Soup Car (red sports car) dismembered. And under normal circumstances, I would have been the first call she made and first on the spot. Or at least I always had been. When her car wouldn't start. When she was mad at a friend. When she couldn't figure out a form. When she didn't feel good.

This time, though, she called me after Nick had arrived on the scene. Nick is Leah's fiance. Should I come down? I asked. No, Nick is here, she told me. Honestly, initially, I was still thinking about going down. But the moment also revealed itself to be a turning point. Just to be sure everything was OK, I texted Nick. His responses reassured me.

But it got me thinking...Do you remember the book "Runaway Bunny?" By Margaret Wise Brown, the book had become my mommy bible. Like Brown's book, I would be there for my bunny, no matter what she did and where she went. We were "Team Kee." Well it dawned on me the evening of Leah's misfortune with her car that things were changing. As I told Nick, in a text, it will now be "Team Kovac." And I wasn't sad about it.

She's in good hands. Besides, it was really, really cold outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment